Saturday, August 29, 2009

Waiting for you......

Fresh Figs
Earlier today I went with a friend to Pier 39 along Fisherman's Wharf to check out a venue for his birthday. It was a gloriously hot sunny day and I was so happy to be out wearing a sundress. The best part of the day was that amidst the crowds of tourists I found this little fruit stand. It was selling the most luscious looking fruit and little plastic containers of chocolate to dip them in. There were the first figs of the season and strawberries piled high. Grapes spilled out of the crates and I could smell the peaches nectarines nestled in their crates. I wanted that fruit, though lusted after might be a better way to describe how I was feeling. Seeing those figs made me understand how in the world Eve could have taken a bite of that forbidden fruit. It was torture seeing it all there so ripe and waiting.

However, I asked how much the figs were and balked at the $8.95 per pint price tag. Especially when I know that soon figs will be in season and will flood my local farmer's market. I promise that you my beautiful figs that I'll buy you up then. I'll roast my figs up with a little honey and devour you with a dollop of ice-cream on top. I walked away empty handed today, but I'll be waiting for you my sweet little figs.

No comments:

Post a Comment