Thursday, November 5, 2009

Today is a good day.

Ladies and gentlemen today is an Odd Thursday and I always look forward to this day. Why? Well it's because today I picked up this:

That's right I went to pick up my unassuming cardboard box, but surely you know that appearances are deceiving right? This box contains something I love, something that think about day in and day out, something that makes me happy.



Are you ready for this? This revelation?





Really the suspense would be killing me if I were you.





Yes that's right I got PRODUCE! Fresh, local organic produce from my CSA at Eatwell Farms.

This week I got:
  • Basil
  • Garlic
  • Lemon Verbena
  • Bok Choy
  • Eggplant
  • Gypsy Peppers
  • Serrano Chile Peppers
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Onions
  • Fuyu Persimmons
  • Granny Smith Apples
Not a bad haul huh? I've been getting a share of produce and eggs from them for well over a year now and I really like it. I get lovely produce, fruit and eggs that are all organic at a very reasonable price. I do an every other week delivery, because it's simply too much food for one week and that way I can still stop by the local farmer's market for anything I might need.

I love getting my box to see what's inside, because although they post what they might put in the box a week ahead oftentimes there are last minute variations or it's simply not specific enough (like I know there will be tomatoes, but not what kind). Sometimes the surprise is good like the time I got a heirloom melon that for the life of me I can't remember the name of. Sometimes the surprise is bad like in the spring when I kept getting cabbage which is not really one of my favorite veggies.

However, that's party of what's great about a CSA is that it forces you to be inventive with your cooking and pushes you out of your culinary rut. It also connects you with the seasons, with the farms and the local food community. I like knowing that what I put into my body is free of extra chemicals and that I am supporting a farmer. In addition to all of that the produce is really really tasty I mean so fresh and lovely. Oh and the eggs please don't get me started on the eggs! I get half a dozen every other week and they are not only the largest eggs ever they also have such lovely yolks and whites. Really yellow firm yolks that are perfect when cooked slightly runny just the way I like them

So this is why I love every Odd Thursdays. Produce and eggs baby produce and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment