Monday, May 11, 2009

Hey Mama

I hope you had a wonderful weekend and called your mother to wish her Happy Mother's Day. I had the most fun relaxing weekend and I'm feeling particularly lucky at the moment. Are you wondering why I feel so lucky?

A few days ago I emailed my mother, then other day I was chatting on IM with my cousin in China and I spent the weekend with some amazing friends. What this all has me thinking about is the path that my life has taken me. After all I was born in Shanghai as a second child and a girl no less in a country where boys are seen as the bearer of hope for future generations. Yet my parents left and brought me to the States. I'm here and I'm blessed to have the opportunities that have come my way such as going to college, working in a career of my choice, being able to vote in what I believe in and to voice my opinion. These are privileges that I don't take lightly.

Yet this weekend what really struck me as I was emailing my mother was the sudden realization that I really liked my Mom. How remarkable is that? Yes I love my mother and always have after all this is the woman who bore me and raised me. However, lately our relationship has deepened. I find myself calling her to chat on the phone and see how her day has gone. I want to tell her about that article I read about composting and show her that picture of the hummingbird on my balcony. I find myself reaching out to her more on a daily basis and truly valuing her as a friend. Not just a mother, but as a friend who's opinion and views I respect. A friend who is unconditionally supportive and understanding. A friend who's known me all of my life and can share all of life's trumpihs and pitfalls. A friend who I find funny and charming. Who knew that this person would be my Mom?

Thanks Mom for being there for me. For being a mother and raising me, but now for being my friend as well.


All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his. ~Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895

No comments:

Post a Comment